Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Don't Read This

I should have learned to tie a tie around my neck the way I should/ pop up the collar/ around and loop/ I cannot breath/ I cannot holler/ though taller/ I'm a little fatter/ and when my stomach used to be a little flatter/ flattery used to go a long way with me/ though now impervious to compliments from lying teeth/ I need a rest/ I need relief/ a quick release/ a time of peace and quiet still/ to get to know my soul/ I feel it flow around me like a cloth of silk and cashmere/ Now that I'm back here/ do U mind if I crash here/ I promise to drink up the last beer/ before I pack up and leave cash and coin and virgin tears/ carve the words "I was here" on your heirloom rocking chair/ I used to sit and stare into the mirror until I became entrapped in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment